Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Annie Begins Her Quilt

Annie and I decided that her beloved Rebecca* needs a quilt.  Yesterday we sketched out plans, today I cut out 108 squares.  (This process went quickly because I'd already cut lots of different fabrics into 18" strips; we just had to choose the colors and patterns we wanted and use the rotary cutter to cut the strips into squares.)

Rebecca's favorite color is purple, so we're focusing on purple, white, and gray. 

I put right sides together, used a pencil to draw the seam line, threaded and knotted the needle, and showed Annie how to stitch.  Then I handed it over and started cooking supper.

Although she has never sewn a stitch before, she took off like a rocket.  She got ten squares sewn into pairs before dinner, and I'm so impressed by the skill in those tiny hands. 


 Such calm, focused attention, and such patience!


*Rebecca Rubin, an American Girl doll.  She's a member of the family, you know.....

1 comment:

  1. I adore this. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to teach my kids to handsew when I thought they were too young for a machine. I usually teach the basic way in everything else.

    ReplyDelete