Thursday, March 9, 2017

Watershed

You'll never fly as the crow flies, get used to a country mile.
When you're learning to face the path at your pace
Every choice is worth your while.*

Do you ever stand at the watershed of your life and take a good look?  I do. I was born for it. Someone once told me it was the result of losing my mother at a young age, but that's not true; I was an armchair philosopher as a child.

Our backyard, where we see an expansive physical reality spread in front of us full of ponds, fields, woods, mountains and clouds, mirrors my internal life, where I climb up on the highest points I can find to get the best vision.  The daily demands and messes of ordinary life make it easy and tempting to slip into the myopic, to only see the chores and tasks and checklists. 

But there's more going on here than all that.  So much more.


I hope that these little people will understand vision, too.  

(But for now, they're calling turkeys.)

*with thanks to the Indigo Girls

1 comment: