Friday, May 31, 2019

1902 Charleston, South Carolina Exposition

My father, knowing that I'm something of an amateur historian when it comes to our beloved city of Charleston, South Carolina, sent me this video that was taken by Thomas Edison at the 1902 Charleston Exposition. I was absolutely captivated by it, and about halfway through I realized what was captivating me the most: the wonderful attire!

The ladies and girls are in long skirts and beautiful hats.  The men and boys are in suits, and I noticed at least one of the men tip his hat! Their more formal attire matched so prettily with the beautiful backdrop.

I was just home from a week at Disneyworld (a generous Christmas gift to our children from my in-laws!) and the juxtaposition was stark. Over the past 117 years the world has seen many great strides and improvements, but the trend to wearing as few scraps of fabric as possible isn't one of them. I'm not saying we need to dress like the Victorians (although those skirts!! I love them!!), but I do think we've lost a certain amount of grace, beauty, and propriety.  And I am inspired to do more to bring these qualities back into the 21st century wardrobe.

Here's the clip of the exposition.  Those skirts!!!


Annie (age 8) has been asking me to sew a few dresses and nightgowns for her. I am inspired to go forth and do that now!

No comments:

Post a Comment