Thursday, May 30, 2019

Home Life Help: Four Efficiency Tips

Now that my husband is officially in remission (insert all the praises and hallelujahs and joy, which I continue to have all the time!!!!), we have slowly returned to a more "normal" life.  Once he returned to work in January, the children and I settled into a school and lessons/co-op routine that was more structured than the laissez-faire approach we had taken for part of the fall (but still not that structured--I like a lot of flexibility). 

With all of that, I realized needed to manage housekeeping with more efficiency. 

Now, before I get into my tips, let me say this: efficiency is not my goal in homemaking or life. I'm naturally fairly efficient and organized, but in my opinion the only reason to be efficient is in order to foster relationships.  I'll gladly do "inefficient" things when they feel right (for instance, I often handwash dishes because I like it, although it's not as efficient as using the dishwasher, and I love hanging out the laundry, and I don't try to squeeze every second out of my day--I had enough of that when I was practicing law).

Efficiency, taken to its extreme, becomes exploitative, as Wendell Berry points out. And care is often quite inefficient.

Still, certain systems do help me manage my life more efficiently, which then opens up my life to doing lovely, inefficient things like sipping tea on the deck while reading a book! 

So here are a few things that I have found helpful recently:

1) Laundry twice a week.  Since my first baby was born I always did a bit of laundry every day except Sunday (and I would wash laundry on Sunday when it needed washing!).  My babies wore cloth diapers most of the time, so that alone was a staggering amount of laundry. Add to that spit-up, two parents who exercise a lot, toddler accidents here and there, and plenty of playing outside (usually in dirt!), and we had a lot of laundry to wash! 

Now that my children are older and a lot tidier, I realized I was just running on a laundry hamster wheel by doing some every day. It never felt "done" and I nearly always had to remember to switch it out, fold something, put something away, etc.  I realized that in this season of life, that's a pretty inefficient way to manage our laundry.

So I changed my approach. On Mondays and Fridays we are usually home all day, so those are my designated laundry days.  I'll wash all the clothing, towels, and rags that need to be done, and then do 1-2 loads of sheets.  Sticking with it all day long and meeting the end goal of finishing it by bedtime is SO satisfying!  This week I left clean sheets in the dryer for a few days because I didn't have to fold them and put them away, so I didn't! But they were clean and dry, and that felt "done" enough for me.  I love this approach to laundry. It works great for us right now, and my family isn't coming to me and saying "are there any clean socks?" or "I'm out of tee-shirts!" 

2) ClickList shopping.  When I first heard of this I thought it was a nice service for the elderly, disabled, or for new moms.  I didn't even consider doing it for me because I'm an able-bodied human who can easily walk through a grocery store, and my children are no longer babies or toddlers.  But earlier this year I surveyed the week ahead and realized I needed that extra hour in my week.  I made the grocery list the night before and was pleased to see that I could clip coupons while doing the online shopping.  I wasn't sure I wanted a stranger picking out my produce or perishables, but I thought I'd give it a shot.  

I was pleasantly surprised by the entire experience!  It was super-efficient and my produce was perfect (they even got the avocados right which stunned me).  They didn't have one item that I had on my list and substituted it with a higher-priced item, but they only charge the lower price when they do that.  Also, my grocery bill was much lower than normal. I never thought of myself as an impulse shopper since I stick pretty faithfully to my list, but as it turns out, I think I do add things to the cart--often things I think we might need.  

 Once the farms are open for business, my grocery store trips slack off.  I do enjoy grocery shopping sometimes and like walking through the aisles, looking at things, and in our small community it's also a social hour :), so I like those things, but on weeks when we are pressed for time, I appreciate being able to use ClickList. 

3) Streamlining the children's chores. In our days before cancer, my children had a fairly extensive morning chore list.  I dropped that during treatments and recovery because I simply didn't have the mental wherewithal to manage chores, and they just did the most basic things (bed, teeth, hair, shower). I decided that we needed to get back to chores, but I realized that most of the things on their morning lists were things that did not need to be done daily.  Do I really need for my daughter to empty the bathroom trash cans every day? No.  Does my son really need to wipe down the bathroom sink every day?  No.  So their morning chores are bed-making, grooming, and pet care.  Then after school, they have *ONE* chore per day to do.  Each day is different.  This keeps it not overwhelming (one chore doesn't take long), helps them not feel bored with doing the same thing over and over again, and ensures that things get done on a solid routine.  I am so happy with this approach! I also have one or two afternoon chores per day, and we all take Sunday off. 

4) Kitchen helper.  Possibly the most genius idea that ever entered my brain, the "kitchen helper" has made my life infinitely easier.  I decided that my children are, at 11 and 8, quite old enough to be genuinely useful in the kitchen.  So each night I alternate having a kitchen helper.  The kitchen helper's job is to set the table, help with any sous chef tasks while I cook, clear the table, help wash and dry dishes, and do any odd kitchen jobs that need doing in the evening.  This has cut my time in the kitchen at night by half, I think!  Even Annie, who is still unable to do everything, helps a lot!  

While the kitchen helper works, the other child tidies up the living room and dining room areas and makes sure things are neat for the evening.  That way after kitchen cleaning is done, we can all relax.  

*               *             *

Those are the new changes to my life that have helped me.  There are other things I do, too, like stack my errands/plan them carefully, cook ahead/make freezer meals, and try to use certain pockets of time wisely, but I've done those things for a long time, and these four tips are new to our family.  But they are reaping so many benefits that I wanted to share them in case they help anyone else who may be re-thinking along similar lines.

Now, to go watch the fireflies rise in the pasture......


2 comments:

  1. One blogger who tried and loved the click list shopping did it differently. She called in all the food an other items she wanted that she did not feel the need to 'check over' herself. She then went to the store a little earlier than the grocery items called in would be put in her car. She had time to do any other shopping she wanted to do personally. She also then picked out her own produce etc. Then at the appointed time she drove over and they put the other things she ordered ahead in her car and off she went! :) Not having to gather all the 'dy' things she needed herself cut her time but she also got to survey the produce herself. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts on efficiency! I am also naturally pretty efficient but that is not a priority for this season of life. I've adopted a similar "sous chef" plan, with one child helping prepare dinner and set the table each night. The bonus is that I'm slowly teaching the kids how to cook, and spending a little extra time one-on-one with them. I will consider your advice on laundry as I'm in a similar stage with kids ages 11, 8, and 5. I also love Clicklist, find myself saving quite a bit of money, and wish that it existed during my years of pregnancies and toddlers! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am also inspired by your plan to wear dresses and I think I will try that tomorrow. Or at least skirts!

    ReplyDelete