Saturday, April 30, 2022

A Whirlwind Week (& Windows)

 I dropped off the face of the internet this week as it all unfolded into a vortex of activity: Monday, a window installation and friend visiting; Tuesday, a trip to UNC with my husband for his oncology appointment; Wednesday, another window installation, another friend visiting, and (my favorite) teatime with my friend Kate!; Thursday, all-day-back-to-back at the dentist, piano lesson, and ballet studio; and Friday, an unexpected day trip to a small town south of here, where my sister was having an urgent diagnostic test. 

Whew. Deep breath!

But it has all been good. The windows are in and I'm so pleased with them both.  Mr. Polly's visit went great, and for the first time in nearly 4 years, he gets moved to every six months for appointments (instead of every 2, then 3, then 4).  And I cannot even begin to describe the exhalation of learning that my sister's issue is not cancer, but a perfectly benign situation.  I spent an hour at the hospital doing some anxiety knitting, asking God to please, please allow her to be ok. Such a relief to get the results *that day!* 

Our bathroom renovation is coming right along!  The room is small and felt very dark (especially with the sage green walls of yesteryear): 

The window is lovely!  It is adding so much brightness to this little space. And you can't tell it here, but the view is of the backside of the farm, up a long green hill of several pastures, to the ridge with the trees on top.  In other words: beautiful. 


I'll show Finn's bedroom window swap later. I think that's an even bigger change!

I am working on a hat for my dad. It's the exact same yarn and pattern I used for Mr. Polly's hat, which he took to Finland and then accidentally left in a "taksi." Oh well! 


This was the first time I knitted something with ribbing (note I'm wearing a ribbed sweater, too--so cozy), and I have to say that I LOVE it.  It provides an interesting pattern and texture, but it's easy to stay on track because mistakes show up immediately.  So you can be a distracted person who enjoys a bit of mindless knitting, but still create something that looks more unique than, say, stockinette stitch. 

As a result of all this activity, I realized today that I was tired.  Really, really tired!  I took Annie and Finn to their all-day rehearsals, stopped by the thrift store for a couple of new sweaters (one is Boden!), and came home to lunch and a pleasant, rainy-day nap.  Now I'm feeling so much better....

Ready for a new week and the whirlwinds it brings. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment