Monday, May 2, 2022

Old-Fashioned Flowers

 I like old-fashioned things: doilies, milk glass, embroidered linens, tablecloths.....and I like old-fashioned flowers, too! I was thinking the other day that I sure have a lot of old-fashioned flowers in my yard--these are flowers that seem like the sorts of things grandmas might have planted decades ago. I've planted all of these myself: 

the dwarf lilac outside the bedroom window...

the enormous bleeding heart by the front porch (I also have a couple more bleeding hearts elsewhere!)...


the lily of the valley, also near the front porch.....


...and peonies and irises and day lilies all around (but none of those are in bloom just yet). 

I haven't had much time at all this spring at all to work in the yard, with commuting back and forth to Charleston, and then, when I'm home, with taking care of all the bits of domestic life that get a little neglected when I'm not here.  But that's okay.  The flowers carry on without me (so do the weeds, rest assured), and they all know that I'll turn my attention to them as soon as I can.  

Gardening is my favorite thing!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, a lot of those plants were in the yard of the house I grew up in. I am so glad I was able to take some coral bells, lilac bush, lily of the valley and hens and chicks for my home. I still remember the bleeding hearts and the beautiful and fragrant roses and peonies. Jo

    ReplyDelete