Monday, August 8, 2022

Gifts from Seabrook

 Back in July when we spent a while in Charleston, we skipped down to Seabrook for a day. My mother's brother and his wife (my dear aunt!) were there, along with my two cousins, their spouses, and their (combined) four children!  

Seabrook has its own little flavor of magic, I've discovered this year.  This was my second visit there. 

The drive down to Seabrook (or Kiawah) on John's Island is just beautiful: canopies of live oak trees line the way.  The island was thoughtfully-planned with lots of preserved marsh area and hundreds of gorgeous live oaks.  

(The view from my cousin's bedroom window.)


The ocean was warm and calm, and perfect for just relaxing in the water.  No pounding surf, no strong undertow. Deliciously peaceful.

And Finn kept finding whole sand dollars, over and over again.  


Best of all, I sat and talked for quite a while to my aunt and uncle.  I didn't realize I needed it until I had it: their empathy, wisdom, advice, and interest were all soothing to my spirit, a real balm to my soul.  There's such a gift in having someone older and wiser than you sharing their wisdom and love.  

Just another little gift in the midst of it all. So many things for which we can give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment