Sunday, August 7, 2022

Rejoicing Always

Today is August 7th, which I realized means it has been nearly an entire month since I last wrote here!

Time flies.  

The children and I spent nine nights in Charleston last month, visiting my sweet Dad and stepmom.  I am so thankful for the flexibility to spend so much time with him, so thankful for the gift of technology so that I can enjoy my daily phone call with him (we talk anywhere from half an hour to over an hour nearly every day!), so thankful for everything I see God doing in this situation.  He is doing so much. He is orchestrating everything.  I just know He's in total control. 

Dad starts two weeks of whole brain radiation tomorrow.  Will you pray for him?  He is a little rattled by the possible side effects--things like memory loss--and I can't blame him.  Even so, his courage inspires me.  And he never complains.  My specific prayer requests are: 1) that the brain radiation has a minimal or zero impact on his memory and personality; 2) that it is effective in eliminating the tumors in his brain so that his life can be extended; 3) that the side effects aren't painful for him.  

I am leaving on Saturday to spend a week in Charleston--just me.  The children will stay home with my husband.  I wanted to have the time *just me* to focus on helping with driving to daily radiation appointments, keeping house, moral support.....again, this is such a blessing and I'm so thankful for all the support I have at home to make this happen.

*  *  * 

Today in church the sermon was on 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. As soon as the pastor began reading the Scripture my children turned to me and smiled: this is one of our memory verses from last year!  And it is so apropos to our lives right now!  "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I love this verse because it contains God's will for our lives; as the pastor put it today: be joy-full, prayer-full, and thank-full! 

During a hard time I tend to have little practices I fall back upon to keep myself healthy and high-functioning, and I've been focusing on those this summer: exercise, eating well, *lots* of sleep and rest, not over-extending myself, doing my daily tasks a little slower than normal, and looking for the sweet and joyful aspects of life every day.  Every night I have so much for which I am thankful!  

My children (and I, I guess) have two more weeks of full summer. Then Finn begins two online classes, and Annie will start her math and history work with me.  The week after that, Finn begins Spanish 3, and the week after Labor Day, they both add in two more online classes each.  I think that "slow" start makes a lot of sense for us this year!  The next month, three months, six months....all of it...are just a big question mark.  We are going forward with Normal Life plans: The Nutcracker in December, piano lessons, the boys' Big Trip Out West*. And we are holding it all lightly.  I have lived in this in-between place before and it is sanctifying. 

In the midst of everything, Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley are growing quickly and are the best entertainment, we are having major landscaping done on our side yard soon, and our children are healthy and growing!

*The Boys' Big Trip Out West: in a couple of months, my husband is taking Finn to Oregon!  They are going to spend two nights in Portland, and then three nights on the coast and three nights in the Hood River area.  If anyone has any recommendations for anything interesting to see or do in northern Oregon, let me know!  My husband has done lots of research and planning already, but it's always nice to hear what others think.  We love Oregon!  We spent a week out there in 2002, but we did the southern part of the state, and the boys won't have time to drive everywhere, so they're focusing on the Cannon Beach area and the Columbia River Gorge. I'm happy for them!


4 comments:

  1. Having lived in Central Oregon for 20 years now, I'd recommend enjoying Cannon Beach but staying south due to higher rates in CB. We love the Lincoln City area - great seafood and pretty beaches, several great beaches south of LC, too. The Gorge is beautiful with Multnomah Falls, etc. to see. Visitors are still allowed also at the Bonneville Dam where tours are given free. Crown Point overlook is also a great place for views of the Gorge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They had already booked a place in Cannon Beach, but are excited to explore that area. I'll tell him about the Dam and Crown Point overlook!

      Delete
  2. I'm in Oregon! If he heads to Hood River, there are some beautiful hikes and waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge. But you need to plan ahead because you have to make reservations now for some of the hikes. Cannon Beach is pretty, but can be really crowded. Tillamook is a little farther south and has a lighthouse and the cheese factory. Astoria is about a half hour north of Cannon Beach, and there's a Goonies museum and Fort Clatsop, a replica of a Lewis and Clark fort. That was a highlight for my sons. I hope they enjoy their visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will tell him to be sure to check on whether he needs to make reservations on some of those hikes. They are staying in Cannon Beach and have their sights set on a day in Tillamook!! :) My husband really likes cheese factories (weird, but true).

      Delete