Monday, April 4, 2022

Doilies

I've probably never mentioned this before, but I have a deep and longstanding love of doilies.  In fact, a couple of years ago my uncles insisted that I inherit my grandparents' custom-made walnut china cabinet (I have a distant cousin who is a semi-famous fine furniture maker! and he made it for them to their specifications). One of the most wonderful things about this was that I finally had an entire drawer that was solely dedicated to doilies (and other sweet domestic linen items). Yes, I realize that makes me sound like I might be 97 years old, and no, I don't care!

My paternal great-grandmother was a devoted doily-maker.  When she wasn't making doilies, she was gardening, pruning azaleas in her garden in Charleston, taking long walks, playing bridge, and teaching elementary school (for something like 50 years!).  She lived to be 100; that's a lot of doilies. 


In addition to my beloved doilies, I also have a lot of embroidered linens.  I believe this was done by my maternal grandmother.  I set it out for spring; it's so sweet!


And a detail on another linen doily.  This embroidery!  I love the care that was taken years ago to decorate and elevate this simple, functional item.  Hours of work could go into something that was basically just there to protect the table.  


Last time I was in Charleston, I found even more crocheted doilies in the attic.  I didn't have time to examine them, but they'll be coming home with me next time, carefully laundered, and set in the sun to dry.  Then I'll add them to my collection!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I have a few from my husband's grandmother, and love them.

    ReplyDelete