Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Watershed Pattern-Organizing

 Last week I decided to "digitize" my patterns so I can have them in my pocket when I'm out and about.  So I went through all my vintage patterns and chose the ones in Annie's current size as well as the ones in my current size (I shrank four years ago, and I'm shrinking again).  I named one folder on my iphone Notes "Girls' Patterns" and discovered, LO! BEHOLD! that I can scan in documents. What! It's so fast and easy. So I scanned in the front and backs of all her patterns, then I moved on to a new folder of "Ladies' Patterns" and did mine.  And I created an "Apron Patterns" folder, too.

I went to the fabric store on Saturday and I can't tell you how empowering it was and how organized I felt.  In fact, it was so transformative (so much better than standing in front of the bias tape and drawing a blank, or wondering exactly how much interfacing I might need for the next skirt, or wandering aimlessly through the fabrics trying to recall how many yards I need) that I have a new idea: to do the same thing with my fabrics. This will take longer than scanning in the patterns--which took almost no time at all--but how brilliant will that feel?  Take a photo of the fabric, then put a note with the yardage. Bam!  And I think I'll organize them in folders according to fabric type. I so often forget that I've got, and then get surprised when I open the chest again and dig around......

I think this will revolutionize my sewing.  

1 comment: