Saturday, April 9, 2022

Organizing the Fabrics and Yarns

 Well, I did it! I took advantage of the cancelled activities brought on by a sick child, and I catalogued all my fabrics.  All of them.  Every. Single. One. (Except for the scraps, which live in a beautiful wooden cylindrical box.) 

I created folders based on fabric type: woven cotton and linen, velvet and silks, utility and upholstery, vintage linens, etc. I even have a folder for "Things to Cut Apart," like the two velvet 1940s bridesmaids dresses that are unwearable as-is, but have a lot of useful fabric that could be transformed into something else.....

Then I placed the scraps that are good sizes for quilts or other patchworky projects in gallon-sized ziploc bags according to colors: warm, cool, white. 

I even created a folder for the collars I have inherited.  Yes. I inherited collars


Then, because I was on total fire, I went on and catalogued all the yarns in those bins there, also by material, with notes on how many skeins and weight, etc.  

Now every fabric and yarn I own is in my phone in its proper folder, with a photo and note on the yardage.  They're all nestled back into the cedar chest in groups so that I know where the jerseys are, know where the many yards of white denim are (I use this for small slipcovering projects!), know where the velvets are.....and so on. 

This is probably the best organizational project I've done in years! I'm so satisfied with it. Now off to make Annie's Easter skirt.....

No comments:

Post a Comment